26 November 2007

almost-empty nest

i've been busy driving, sorting, purging and packing. every time i feel like i'm ahead on emptying out the apartment i find another stash of old magazines or clothes that were never altered or ancient fortunes [from cookies]. while im absorbed digging through my junk henry eats all of alice's food, or i miraculously ignite a pot of hard boiled eggs. at least i am keeping somewhat busy.

my parents came by sunday morning to fill a giant suv with goodies for vicki, val and robin. after an hour or so of grunting, sweating, bickering and wrangling pets, we ate lunch at a chinese buffet - [always] my father's restaurant of choice. after two platefuls of goodness, i began to feel
nauseous. i had saved my egg drop soup for last, and found it unusually difficult to choke down. i finally gave up and realized i have been feeling ill quite often over th past few months - most of these episodees happened after a few steady hours of drinking, but i left that part out. my mother asked me if i was pregnant. my first thought was.. this is awkward. my father is sitting directly across from me, and in my head [and his, i'm sure] i am still too young to have sex, even though i am married, geez. my second thought was that - maybe i am.. but peter had been gone for over two months... then my mother asked if i had had a period recently. ahhh just got more awkward.. i said yes i have, infact, had two. thank you.

after a long day of digesting and cleaning up alice and henry pee, i was ready to sleep. henry and i were just about out when alice joined us. at first i thought it was adorable. i was pleased that alice was accepting the fact there was a doggy visitor and she was returning to our usual sleeping arrangement. it was not so good and there was not much sleep involved. the end.


No comments: